Tuesday, November 20, 2007

World Village Project Update


It's working! It's working! I'm just superstitious enough to worry that I anger the technology gods with that proclamation, but by golly it is working. Our second graders are having consistent communication with their partner class in Thailand. Our fifth graders are "meeting" their partner class in Turkey next week via videoconference. There are TWO, count 'em, TWO partnerships occurring simultaneously in our Spanish classes between Spain (Barcelona) and Argentina. And there has been a spontaneous pairing between our French classes and a tiny school in the countryside of France. The only one that has fallen through is our Holland connection. That irritates me, but I'd say the percentages are pretty good.

Some hints: Our French teacher made her connection all on her own through Epals. She assures me that she got a response in only one day, and a mail exchange in only a week. The Thailand connection came through a colleague I met (Kim Cofino) on the Global Ed Ning. I've made the Argentina connection through Global Schoolhouse and the Turkey connection via the Sister Schools Project on the Global Awareness for Teachers Web site.

No comments: