Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Replacement for Surf Swell Island

For several years, I had used Disney's Surf Swell Island as a fun way to introduce second graders to the basic concepts of Internet Safety. However, Disney has discontinued the site. So, I have been looking for replacements to use. This morning, I found some really cute ones:

1. Safety Land (by AT&T)--A similar "adventure" feel to the Disney site, with a printable certificate at the end. I like it so far and will try it today with them.

2. Netsmartz Kids Games--Although there are some games on the page that are largely useless, there are a couple about Passwords, Inbox Management, Privacy and more that are cute.

3. PBS Kids "Rules of the Road"--Get your surfing license. This covers a lot of different things like copyright, what comprises a Web address and more. It would be a good summative game.

5 comments:

Chris said...

Hey, I found your blog as I was searching for the whereabouts of Surf Swell Island. Shortly after, I found a link to the Australian version: http://home.disney.com.au/activities/surfswellisland/

Theo said...

Thanks for these,Alicia. I'll share them with my class tomorrow - as well as my Diigo groups.

Theo

Alecia Berman-Dry said...

Thanks for the link, Chris, to the Aussie version of surf swell. Did you try it? Is it working the same as the old one?

Mrs. McFarlin's Multimedia Messages said...

Chris - Thank you so much for posting the Australian version. I was so upset when Disney discontinued the game. My students love it! I e-mailed the company but they didn't make it sound like the game would be returning.

Ashley :O) said...

GREAT News...The US version is back and running...I too have used it for years to introduce my students to the Do's and Dont's of the web...Here's the address enjoy...
http://disney.go.com/surfswell/script.swf