Friday, July 6, 2007

Getting It All Right

Mea culpa. I got it all wrong in my last blog post "The Death of Crayons." I ruminated on it some more yesterday and I suppose I had an epiphany. What's the whole point of this blog? Helping children to merge their educational use of technology with their personal use of technology. So, that's exactly what The PowerPoint Kid was doing. He was merging his interest in dinosaurs with his interest in PowerPoint and producing new media on the matter. It's my dream outcome, really, and what do I do when faced with my dream? Miss the point!

The good news is that I didn't miss it altogether. I got it loud and clear today. My work is moving forward and that child is proof positive. I hear he's out boogie-boarding today. Just goes to show you, Rousseau was right. "Do not judge, and you will never be mistaken."

Image credit: www.noappp.org

1 comment:

Rachel Boyd said...

I think you're right here to revisit your initial thoughts.

For this child, at this point in time, the PowerPoint was the medium he wanted and chose to use. Obviously something he felt he had skills in and something he had experienced success with in the past. Another child may have wanted to break out the crayons and colouring in pencils instead.

You should feel proud that your teaching gave him a new medium to express his ideas and interests in. He obviously really enjoyed it!

Cheers, Rachel Boyd, NZ